1) Christina Rossetti’s poem is known to be a reflection of how women were perceived during the Victorian era. What kind of perception do you believe men had of women during that time? How does her poem convey the message of inequality between men and women?
2) In the Cathy Song’s poem, what is the young women in the poem transforming herself into? Which culture are her actions a reflection of? Do you feel as the reader that this young woman may be oppressing herself through the use of makeup and costume? Explain.
3) Define the theme of both poems and then list three symbols from each poem and describe the significance of the symbolism to the theme .
4) What kind of tone is used in both of these poems? Do you feel liberated as the reader or confined? (ex:look at the portrayal of the female characters).
5) Read the last three lines of Cathy Songs poem, what is she trying to say? (hint: you may have to search to find what chrysanthemums are a symbol of to answer this question).
6) What kind of relationship does the man have with the woman he is painting in Christina Rossetti’s poem? Why does he refer to her as “A saint an angel” (Rossetti 7)?
7) Choose two terms from your definition graph that you completed and try to find an example from both poems which supports the terms you selected from the list. For example, if you choose alliteration as one of the terms from your chart, find an example from both poems that shows the use of alliteration.
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET A GOOD DISCOUNT