The owners, executives, and management of a company can readily see the work and value of managerial accountants. But do others recognize the influence these individuals have on the business? How does managerial accounting influence a company or firm’s goals and outcomes? In this assignment you will have the opportunity to consider the answers to these questions. You will have the chance to defend your position on the role managerial accounting plays in the aviation industry.
Airline companies are required to file a form 10-K with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). While this document at face value provides significant financial information, it also says a lot about a company’s strategic goals. By examining its pages you can see the role of managerial accountants at work.
JetBlue – Instructions
Complete this assignment by doing the following:
- Be sure to read the text before starting this assignment. Make note of some of the uses of managerial accounting. Consider the decisions driven by data acquired through managerial accounting.
- Read “Item 7: Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations” in JetBlue’s 10-K filing. Click here to access the 10-K.Item 7 is found on pages 27 to 43 of the document.
- As you read, consider the following:
- What were some of the airline’s goals in 2010 and 2011?
- In what way can a managerial accountant help the airline reach these goals? (For example, what specific reports or other decision-making tools might be generated by a managerial accountant to assist management?)
- What strategic questions can a managerial accountant help the airline answer?
- How would a managerial accountant find the answers to the airline’s questions? (For example, what information can the managerial accountant provide to find the answers?)
- Complete a 2-3 page paper that answers the questions above. Make sure to clearly identify the airline’s goals and questions along with the specific ways in which a managerial accountant will help the airline reach those goals and answer those questions. Your paper should contain a title page with your name, be double-spaced with 12-point font, and 1-inch margins.
- Should you research other materials to compose your paper, be sure to cite your sources in a references page using APA style.
- Submit your paper by the deadline using the submission instructions below.
Your assignment will be graded according to the following rubric:
- 10 points – Formatting, Grammar, and References: Paper is 2-3 pages double-spaced with maximum of 12pt font. Paper is free from grammatical and spelling errors. Paper credits others’ ideas by citing the appropriate sources using APA. For more information on how to cite using APA or for help in improving your writing, please visit UVU’s Online Writing Lab(Links to an external site.) or Purdue OWL (Links to an external site.).
- 5 points – Airline’s Goals: Paper clearly identifies the airline’s goals.
- 15 points – Managerial Accountant’s Strategy for Achieving Goals: Paper explains specific ways in which a managerial accountant can help the airline achieve its goals.
- 5 points – Airline’s Questions: Paper identifies questions the airline may have or has that can be answered by a managerial accountant.
- 15 points – Managerial Accountant’s Strategy for Answering Questions: Paper explains how the managerial accountant would find the answers to the airline’s questions.
- 50 Points Total
- ORDER THIS TASK HERE AND GET A GOOD DISCOUNT